April Meeting Minutes

Canaries Trust

Minutes of the meeting held Wednesday April 24th 2019.

Apologies for absence:

DC, MM, JM, SL, NT

Minutes of the previous meeting:

The minutes of the March meeting were agreed as a true record and signed by the chairman.

Chairman’s Report:

The chairman welcomed Glenn Bate to the meeting and invited him to say a few words about himself. Glenn told the committee briefly about his work in health and safety and also as a result of his own ill health had a keen interest in disabled supporters’ issues.

RS told the committee about the meeting with Ben Kensell and said that it had been open and constructive. He felt we would have a more productive relationship with the club moving forward. Lynette Hannant and Rebecca Shearer would be points of contact and they planned to come to a future committee meeting.

Secretary’s Report:

Correspondence:

Dr Jamie Iceland re sex and gender in sport (Di had dealt with this)
Sebastian Backman re Finnish Canaries
Denis Cox (via MT) letter of appreciation re 100 club winnings.

Treasurer’s Report:

Lloyds £1,762.05
PayPal £83.45
Co-operative £1,615.16
Go Cardless £23.60

Gross £3,482.26
(of this ring fenced is £400.00 Canary Challenge and £115.00 100 club, total £515.00).

Membership:
MT suggested that JM be approached to do some catchy artwork to send to lapsed members. Action point JM!

There were three new ideas for memberships:

5-10 years pay in advance with possible discount.
Honorary life membership.
Lifetime membership

Collaboration:

RS had already forwarded the following report:

RS Despite a valid suggestion that a personal telephone approach might be the best way to approach other groups, considerations of geographical spread and hence issues about cost and time differences resulted in a decision to generate an initial email which could then be followed up as required. This is what went to all groups on the Club’s register of contacts:
Hi to all of you!

As you may have noticed the Trust has been significantly revamped over the last couple of years and is now adopting a higher profile on the back of the Memorandum of Understanding that we signed with the Club last year.

While we have always tried to work closely with local supporter groups (Proud Canaries, Forces2Canaries and Barclay End Norwich all have seats on our board while keeping their own separate identities and agendas) we feel that with the greatly improved level of supporter liaison with the Club which was begun by Steve Stone and continued by Ben Kensell that now is to time to develop stronger bonds with other groups.

We feel that this could be achieved in several ways;

Trust board members meeting informally with more remote groups at away games in their area.

Arranging to meet overseas group members when they visit Norwich for games and, if their visit coincides with one of our meetings invite them to sit in.

For anyone geographically close enough to attend we have capacity to add more co-opted members on the same basis as the three groups mentioned above.

Mutual spreading of each other’s news items via Twitter, websites etc.

Input to the Trust to raise issues of interest/relevance to other groups at the quarterly meetings with the Club as set out in the Memorandum.

Perhaps you could let me know if any of this is of interest to you, and please feel free to suggest any other possible areas of co-operation that we haven’t thought of!

OTBC
I had an immediate response from German Canaries who were interested in meets up and shared communications and also from Hong Kong Canaries who wanted to talk about the issue of getting tickets when they were back in the UK, something that we discussed with Ben at our recent meeting.

The Social Club said that they would discuss our proposals at their next meeting in June, although I now understand that their Chair is coming to our July board meeting.

Posh Canaries seemed to interpret the email as a request for funds and I have clarified this with them. Along Come Norwich are keen to share communications but feel that sending someone to board meetings is superfluous as they work so closely with Barclay End.

These are the responses I’ve had so far which is disappointing, but I would make two points. The first is that some “groups” are literally two or three fans and therefore have no real structure and the second is that the list I was given wasn’t exhaustive as it just contained those that had given their permission to the Club to publicise contacts. As I discovered this is also clearly out of date as several email addresses bounced and it’s worth noting that I’ve sent three emails requesting that our entry be amended following Mike’s retirement without achieving a result!

Given the outcome of the meeting with Ben I have asked the Club if they can provide contacts for other groups not listed as the fact that we have been tasked to provide liaison between other groups and the Club should hopefully outweigh data protection issues which limited the information that we were initially given.
Marketing and Comms:

Another busy and successful month in terms of raising the profile of the Canaries Trust. All members of the Marketing and Communications Team have made significant contributions to this, as have other board members. Our short-term aim is to continue to maintain similar levels of exposure and interest in Trust activities through to the beginning of the new season and to have a forward plan prepared ready for life in the Premier League!

Achievements:

Monthly Pink ‘Un Show held 3 April at Departure Lounge. M& C work stream met to discuss and progress various initiatives on behalf of CT.
First meeting with main board representatives held 1 April. Met with Ben Kensell. All attending considered the meeting to be successful. Of particular relevance to M&C were:
Agreement of regular matchday programme pages dedicated to the Canaries Trust.
Further discussions and open view about future non-matchday use of Yellows.
ACV agreement (‘blessing’), moved further forward and the potential PR attached to this.

One – off article appeared in matchday programme, written by Kathy Blake. Good Friday edition, 19 April 2019.
Global Canaries Day: Chris Clarke, Chris Newby, Andy and Maria Polley attended the ‘party’ hoisted by the Club in the afternoon before the match. Several opportunities to discuss CT and potential memberships with several groups.
Chris C., Chris N. and Any P. had the honour of parading the CT banner at half time.

Items in Progress:

Plans for media collaboration event being delivered:
‘Tavolata’ style evening with key media invited. To be held Wednesday 1 May.
The event will be held at ‘Departure Lounge’, 99, Prince of Wales Road, Norwich.
The Pink ‘Un Show will be broadcast as usual from Departure Lounge between 6 and 7pm and they are billing it as a ‘promotion special’ where there will be more of a ‘walkabout’ approach for the show, to interview and engage with the party guests.
Departure Lounge along with our help, will be gearing up to flood the place in yellow and green; balloons, inflatable canaries etc and all staff will be in NCFC shirts! We are also encouraging our guests to wear their colours too.
A buffet that will meet most dietary needs will be served and we will also have wine and beer available.
Entry along with the food and drink will be free although we will ask attendees to make a suitable donation towards costs. A ‘gentle collection bucket’ will be available for this purpose.  Entry will be by invitation only.
The proposed invitation list:
Pink Un Team, 4: Radio Norfolk, 4 Anglia, 2, My Football Writer, 4, Re-Wind Norwich, 2, Along Come Norwich, 2, Barclay End / Atmosphere Group say, 6.
Specific invites to be sent by email.
We need to finalise numbers by 3pm Thursday 25 April. Wherever possible, guests are being asked to arrive 5.45 / 6pm, in order to help achieve a ‘party feel’ for the Pink Un show.
Quarterly newsletter re-launch being co-ordinated with a monthly / six-weekly bulletin email for paid up members. KG leading. Artwork currently being added by JM and new memberships being included to distribution list by GF. Subject to sight of final draft, first issue is imminent. AP/MT /KG to meet before production of 2nd issue.
CT performance dashboard being developed to include: membership, shareholdings, funds as well as works stream performance, AP/MT.
Review of website and how to enhance further is underway, JM with CC. This should gather fresh pace as JM has now completed the Paris Marathon.
Supporter Groups Summer Cup on 8 June: Plans for promotional approach to be developed.

Next Steps:
Short Term:
Finalise and agree a CT 12-18 month rolling plan.
Finalise and source a membership joining pack, to include certificate and membership card.
Merchandising Range proposals to be developed by 31 May.
AP and NB to draft an options analysis / business plan regarding community use of Yellows.
AP to lead on drafting of a ‘marketing offer’ to present to Dipple and Conway and possibly one other business to try and secure significant annual contribution to CT funds.
Email addresses / business cards / new CT leaflets etc need to be organised.
Medium Term:
Devise how we will prepare copy for the match day programme next year. Will include personal profiles of board members, one by one and latest news of our events.
Plan for another Foodbank event for next season but ensure all ‘lessons learned’ have been captured. AP/NB.
To build a strategic relationship and engagement plan with media colleagues, particularly with next season in mind.
To support greater engagement, understanding and rapport across all supporter groups.
To agree a target for increasing CT membership with other work streams and devise a supporting promotional plan.

Shares Update:

Completions (April ‘19).
PB – 20 Ordinary.
PB – 4 Ordinary – donation.
JP – 4 Ordinary – donation.

Under offer.
NH (DCD) – 4 Ordinary.
TB (DCD) – 10 Ordinary.
JERB – 300 A-Preference.

Offers accepted.
HEPI – 20 Ordinary.
AS – 24 Ordinary.
AS – 5 B-Preference.

Revised share holdings (as at 24 April ‘19.)
Ordinary shares – 2,678 (with 58 ongoing).
A-Preference – 1,100 (with 300 ongoing).
B-Preference – 10 (with 5 ongoing).

Website:

CC reported the following:

964 views (April)
500 visits
Most popular in descending order – NCFC shares, BEN news article, Canary Challenge, Canary Ball rally, joining page (? improve), NB in the Daily Mail.
RS said he was surprised at the lack of response to minutes of the meeting with the club.

Forthcoming events:

Media event 1/5/19:
AP requested formal responses to the invitation so that he had an idea of numbers Action point all!

RNS: KB has almost completed the rota for the show. Just waiting from AP and CN to sort out their working arrangements Action point AP CN! KB to ask SL if he would like to join in Action point KB!

Planned activities: Roller ball, Squares (KB to supply sheets) Action point KB, possible power point presentation Action points MT to find out if there will be a power supply and if yes JM to give thought to the presentation Contactless payment point.

Trust POTS

Trust to choose a POTS and young POTS. Deferred to next meeting.

Any other business: –

RS: Monthly minutes to go on the Trust website.
KB: The Trust has been invited to take part in the CSF quiz at the nest on 20th June. Accepted. Trust team: CN, CC, KB, KG, MM(?), Trish Thorpe. Action point KB to ask MM!
NT: F2C had participated in a pre-match 5 a side tournament at Wigan. Hoped to make this a regular thing.
MT: JM thinks that It is likely that there is a Trust flag somewhere. RS thinks John Leggett had it for fire certification. Action point! MT to chase.
AP: The Global Canaries Event had been an enormous success and he was very proud to have taken part.
AP: Any update on the June 8th five-a-side tournament? Action point! RS to chase JM.
CC: KB had been rather dropped in at the deep end with the secretary’s job. Patience needed.
GF: Had anyone contacted the auditor? John Easton had given him a bottle of wine. Action point! MM to update committee.
GF: Please put a subject on emails. This is helpful when searching for things.
MT: Please don’t use ‘reply to all’ unnecessarily.
DH: Had managed to take 3 flags into the ground against Sheff Wed and questioned how stringent the flag rule was being implemented.
DH: On holiday for three weeks so suggested launch of Sporting Challenge delayed for one week.

Date of next meeting:-

Wednesday May 29th 2019.

%d bloggers like this: